Skiers and snowboarders have access to 130 additional acres opened for skiing and riding called Mirkwood Basin.
Accessible via the Breezeway lift and a 15-minute hike along a cat-track, the terrain offers around 1,100 vertical feet of extreme skiing/riding. This expansion allows skiers/boarders to access steep expert chutes and glades, rock cliffs, and excellent tree skiing previously accessible only via Monarch's Cat Skiing.
Long known for its all-natural champagne powder, short lift lines and small-town friendly crew, Monarch adds another dimension with Mirkwood Basin. Come see why so many people are headed back to Monarch for this double black-diamond experience.
Here's some information about this double-black diamond area:
- It is a 10-15 minute hike to make the 300 vertical foot climb (1200 linear feet) to the top of the basin.
- There are roughly 130 skiable acres.
- EXTREME Terrain means: any place within the ski area boundary that contains cliffs with a minimum twenty-foot rise over a fifteen-foot run, and slopes with a minimum fifty-degree average pitch over a one-hundred-foot run. You may also encounter the following: open bowls, cliffs, glades, chutes, rocks and trees. Only for the experienced skier/rider.
- An egress road will bring you back to a run called Never Summer which ends up at the main base lodge.
- Mirkwood Basin closes at 2:30pm in order to allow skiers/boarders venturing into the area to accomplish their hike, ski/ride, and exit the area before Patrol does its closing sweep of this extreme terrain.
Learn more about the hazards of Tree Well & Snow Immersion Suffocation.
Interested, but a bit hesitant? The Mirkwood Tour is a guided tour of our expert level hike to terrain. Tours take place on Saturdays at 11:30am for 2.5 hours. Orientation and information lap through Mirkwood (Extreme Terrain). The Mirkwood Tours are available for skiers and snowboarders ages 13+ and levels 8+. Cost is $78.
Please call to reserve: 719.530.5196.
Map of Mirkwood Basin