Monarch Mountain allows uphill travel at its ski area with the following guidelines. Please keep in mind that uphill travel is a privilege and not a right on USFS Permitted lands. The following rules are put in place to minimize conflicts between uphill and downhill travel, vehicle traffic on the slopes, and to maximize everyone’s safety and enjoyment. Please be aware that no ski area services, including Ski Patrol, are available during hours when the ski area is not open for business. Please call 911 in the event of an emergency during non-operational hours. Keep in mind that rescue may be lengthy and that cell coverage may or may not be available.
You are responsible for your own safety at all times while on Monarch Mountain permitted area.
Please follow these rules and guidelines at Monarch Mountain:
- Uphill users are considered “skiers” under the Colorado Ski Safety Act.
- Uphill travel at Monarch Mountain is NOT allowed during operational hours and YOU must stop climbing and turn downhill by 9 am.
- Uphill users must remain visible at all times, head lamps and reflective clothing is suggested.
- Uphill users must stay to the middle of the trail or rope lines.
- Uphill users must be aware of downhill traffic and avoid blind spots.
- Uphill users must be aware that the slopes are in use 24 hours a day, and to be on guard for snowmobiles, snowcats, snowcat winch grooming, and other vehicular traffic operated by Monarch Mountain. Uphill users have the responsibility to avoid these hazards.
- Uphill users must have a valid lift ticket or pass to ride up any lifts during operating hours.
- Uphill traffic may be restricted due to avalanche mitigation efforts or ski area construction and maintenance activities.
- As with downhill traffic, uphill traffic must obey all on-mountain signage, including closed runs, ski area boundaries and rope lines.
- Dogs are allowed, but must be leashed or under verbal command at all times. Please be respectful by cleaning up after your animal and they must be off Monarch Mountain trails before 9 am.
- Parking is designated in front of the main day lodge, starting right side of the parking lot stairs. Please leave a fire lane open in front of the lodge.